Monday, November 23, 2015

City streets and chicken mysteries

Last week I took some clothes to a local resale store and since I didn't have Brian with me, I had a look around. There, in the furniture section, a big painting caught my eye. The scene of an old-fashioned city street glowing on a rainy night drew me in, and over to look at the price. Even though I'm of an age when I am conscious of needing to downsize and divest, I couldn't resist it for $39. It's hanging in my bedroom (I don't have a lot of available wall space) where I have already gotten more than my money's worth of enjoyment from it.

On Saturday afternoon, I stepped out of a memorial service in town to see this across the street:
It was achingly beautiful, creating strange harmony with the aching sadness of a father dying too soon.

Last night when I shut the pop door on the henhouse, I noted that Elvira was up on the roost. Joining a Speckled Sussex and a Red Sex-link (both have been doing somewhat poorly for weeks) on the floor of the coop was the Buff Orpington. Hmmm. I looked her over; she looked as robust as ever so I left her alone. This morning she was dead. No signs of violence; just dead. ???

I continue to spin Blaise's fleece and knit on these:
They are for a Christmas gift exchange coming up soon; I'd better knit more and spin less!

That's it for today from . . .

4 comments:

C-ingspots said...

I like it too (painting). I saw a barnyard scene weeks back, likely at that same store that drew me in. But I didn't buy it, and have regretted it since. Just wasn't sure where I'd put it.

DianeOart said...

Nice painting, I prefer those to the modern ones and at this price it doesn't cover the frame cost.... good deal.

Theresa said...

Now I'm guessing you are using some kind of two at a time magic loop set up for those mitts? I am ashamed to say, I went back to using double points for small round things, I just couldn't rid myself of the ladders using the magic loop.

Susan said...

SCUDS. Sudden Chicken Unexplained Death Syndrome. I have had that happen too. I like the colors of that painting - very nice! I wish I could make myself sit down and try the two-at-a-time socks/mittens. It would save me from the "oh, no, there's another sock" feeling...